Did you know that the World Health Organization was talking about electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS) 19 years ago? Back in 2004 they were estimating the prevalence of EHS to be a handful per million individuals. In the last 20 years, technology has changed dramatically. With the implementation of 5G technology, we are receiving higher levels of radiation, than ever before! In fact, 20 years ago, only 50% of the population had a cell phone and it was only equipped with calling and texting. To add to this, in the early 2000’s a large majority of us were still watching VHS. And now? A large majority of you reading this will say, “What’s VHS?”. Yes, it is true! There was once a time where you had to get off the couch and drive to get a DVD or VHS to physically carry in your hand..load into a device, find a remote, fast forward through previews, only to begin watching …a movie! Now, we are spoiled with watching anything “On demand.” Such technology brats we are! That’s right, folks! 20 years was yesterday and also a lifetime ago. Technology has proven it.
Even our refrigerators, TV’s, and thermostats, water and electricity are now equipped with WiFi technology! Cell phones are now a 5th limb, computers are the only way we can survive our jobs, bluetooth AirPod’s are how we hear the world, fitness trackers, wireless keyboards, printers, speakers, gaming consoles, and even our best friend’s, Alexa and Siri, are in on it. With more and more smart devices, why then, does this feel so dumb?
We have been told that EMF’s are safe.. and “not a concern”. As with smoking, vaping, cocaine (ahem Coka Cola), Heroin in cough medicine, cars without seatbelts, lead paint, and asbestos…turns out, EMF’s may not be that safe after all. EMF’s or electromagnetic frequencies interact with our cells on a biological level, interrupting gene expression, enzyme activity, and even hormones and neurotransmitters. Also, let us not forget that, we ourselves, are electrical beings! Every cell in our body has a measurable voltage, including our brain and heart. How then, does the surge of EMF’s around us interfere with our own electrical messaging?
The American Association of Pediatrics has taken a bold stance on cell phones and stated “They’re not toys. They have radiation that is emitted from them and the more we can keep it off the body and use (the phone) in other ways, it will be safer.” Their website states:
“The findings of brain tumors (gliomas) and malignant schwann cell tumors of the heart in the NTP study, as well as DNA damage in brain cells, present a major public health concern because these occurred in the same types of cells that have been reported to develop into tumors in epidemiological studies of adult cell phone users,” stated Ronald L. Melnick, PhD, the National Institutes of Health toxicologist who lead the NTP study design and senior advisor to the Environmental Health Trust. “For children the cancer risks may be greater than that for adults because of greater penetration and absorption of cell phone radiation in the brains of children and because the developing nervous system of children is more susceptible to tissue-damaging agents. Based on this new information, regulatory agencies need to make strong recommendations for consumers to take precautionary measures and avoid close contact with their cell phones, and especially limit or avoid use of cell phones by children.”
So, what does this have to do with your sleeping space? We once thought that the period of sleep was when the body became inactive. We now know that it is quite the opposite. Turns out, this period of restoration is when we repair damage to muscles and cells, push out immune strengthening chemicals into our bloodstream, clear our brains of useless information, produce and regulate hormones, get rid of toxic waste, and release proteins…just to name a few! So, the question I am posing to you: “What is happening to your body if this medicinal period of mending is interrupted?”
Not convinced? Check out a list of research
Creating a restorative sleep environment for healing and repair
Any place in which we spend a large amount of time should be considered for safety, however, let us start with our sleeping space! How do we create a sleeping environment that is free from signal interruptors and actually allows our body to repair from the damage of the day?
- Turn off your WiFi. Unplug your router while you sleep. If you don’t like the idea of saying good night and good morning to your router at the start and end of every day, consider the WiFi Kill Switch that you can keep next to your bed. Makes it as simple as the push of a button. Routers may not come to mind as an object posing “immediate danger”, but research is countering it’s safe reputation. The World Health Organization as stated that artificial energy is considered “potentially dangerous to people.” Do we need much more? With America literally sicker than ever, we have to stop relying on regulation and start thinking for ourselves. You have little to lose and a lot to gain from this small step.
- Switch to an analog alarm clock. Sleeping with your phone next to your bed is proving not to be the best move for your long term health. Not to mention, the plugs behind your bed can also giving off a significant source of EMF’s, even if nothing is plugged into it!
- Locate and turn off the breaker switch that controls the power outlets behind your bed, even if it’s just for the night. When testing the amount of radiation my body was receiving, this number reduced drastically when the electrical outlets behind our bed were turned off. Small step, big results. If walking to your switch box is a huge inconvenience, and you have the funds to do so, you can have a professional install a remote cut-off switch to your breaker box.
- Consider a grounding blanket. I’ll admit. I was skeptical about this myself. However, after using a (very expensive) body voltage meter, I was able to measure the amount of EMF’s my body was receiving. When covering myself with the blanket, the voltage my body was receiving, dropped down to nearly nothing. The proof is in the meter. This is the specific brand that was purchased and tested, and proven to be a reputable company
- Take off your activity/sleep monitors. Let your rest be restful and remove anything unnecessary while you repair.
Sure, there is always more that can be done, but start here! These 4 simple steps will produce a large return on investment..of both your time and money!
Want to make an impact on the other 12-16 hours of your day?
- Consider a Faraday bag for your phone. By keeping your phone in this EMF-blocking pouch, you can safely keep your phone on you and not receive radiation from it. After testing multiple phone cases that claimed they worked for this purpose, I found it to be false advertising with my EMF meter. Thus, when it comes to this..opt for quality. Need a cute Faraday purse? We’ve got you covered!
- Rid yourself of those brain-frying AirPods! These air-tubes are free of radiation and also offer a great quality of sound. Did we mention how beautiful they are?
- Turn your phone on night-mode and reduce your blue light exposure, for the entire day! If you prefer not to mess with the settings on your phone, you can purchase a blue light blocking shield to physically attach to your device. Also, when you get your next glasses prescription, check to see if you can add the blue-light blocker!
- Get your laptop OFF your lap. If you can’t, consider using a Faraday blanket to cover your body. Additionally, consider putting your phone onto an eye-level holder or using a stylus to minimize any bodily contact. Kids LOVE the crayon stylus!