Did you know that the very products you are using to rid your home of unwanted invaders could be the very same products that are introducing them? VOC’s. No, we are not talking about aliens here! Volatile organic compounds. Cleaning products are full of them. Have you ever read the back of that “super- sanitizing” cleaner you use for your shower? Oh, you have? Well then, why are you still using it? That was my problem too. Nothing seemed to clean as well and smell as fresh. It turns out that the majority of the “green cleaning products” our family had resorted to, are not even that “green” to begin with!
The Environmental Working Group has provided a list of products that meet standards and guess what? The majority of them aren’t there. Some, for not meeting standards, and some, for not having been reviewed as of yet.
Putting it Into Action
Below I have provided a few of our favorite cleaning products that smell fresh AND do their job. Otherwise, you might as well call it a day and bring on those harmful VOC’s, because lets face it.. clean needs to SMELL and LOOK clean!
- For counter-tops, sinks, and anything kitchen? Windows, appliances, walls, floors, tables, chairs, and more? Spot cleaner for carpet? You mean one product can do all of those things? YES. Truce, all purpose cleaner. With only 5 ingredients: Water, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, organic castile soap and essential oils. IT WORKS. Even better, it ships with a full-sized bottle and a small concentrate of liquid inside to reduce the weight. This creates a benefit for the environment by reducing fuel usage during transportation. Did I mention it smells like peppermint?!
- For removing hard water stains on dishes and toilets: Good old vinegar! If you haven’t tried it yet, wait to be amazed. Pour a cup of vinegar into your dishwasher, run a normal cycle, and enjoy sparkling glasses! For toilets with those hard-to-remove stains? Pour vinegar directly into toilet bowl, let sit for an hour, pour baking soda on top of stains, scrub. DONE. No harmful chemicals and no eye sores left to behold. Add a few drops of undiluted, organic, Eucalyptus oil for an inviting aroma.
- For wood surfaces, laminate, painted cabinets and stainless steel surfaces? What about leather? Truce, Wood Cleaner! This delightful wood cleaner smells like citrus, has only 4 ingredients (olive oil, essential oils, distilled white vinegar, and guar gum), and comes with all the environmental benefits of the Truce products.
- For whiter whites in your load of laundry? Charlies Laundry Soap scored an A from the environmental working group. Their claim, “If you want the scent of flowers, go pick some!” For the smell of clean, you want this product! My white sheets never take on that hint of yellow with this product and it is suitable for He machines, going directly into the tub. To get that fresh scent, without the chemicals, throw these organic wool dryer balls into the dryer, along with your load. Before doing so, place a few drops of the included lavender essential oil onto each ball. All 6 balls will stay in your dryer, helping to dry clothes faster, eliminate wrinkles, and add that fresh scent we all crave!
- For clean hands and soft skin? Dr. Bronner’s Pure Castile Liquid Soap. This product comes in different varieties of scents, as well as an unscented version. My husband L-O-V-E-S the minty fresh this gives off as a shampoo, shaving soap, and body wash. It’s a must in any household.
- For dirty windows and streak-free cleaning? Get this! Soak a tea bag in warm water and use to wash windows. Works like a charm! Note: discard after each use!